CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY

CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY
CLICK THIS PHOTO TO ENTER GALLERY

Saturday, November 16, 2013

SWEPT AWAY - GOD IS IN THE MIDST OF THE STORM




I struggled all week to find the words to express my deepest sympathy for the devastation that hit my birth country, The Philippines.  It felt like the financial and supply donations was hardly enough to comfort the pain and suffering I’ve seen in the wake of this cruel Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda.  The death toll, the sick, the children, the animals and those who have loved ones still missing is simply unimaginable to me.

It really hit home (pun intended) because I remember back when I was still a child living with four other siblings, we were hit by a powerful storm while my parents were on vacation in the U.S.  Our electricity was out for at least a week.  The winds were so strong that our jeep parked in front landed four blocks away by the entrance of our community.  Not only did it go straight to the end of our street but made a turn and ended up there.  My dad’s friends came to bring us food and water.  We were very fortunate that our area wasn't flooded and electricity was restored faster than any other area.  The name of that storm was Yoling.  The intensity of that storm didn’t even come close to Haiyan/Yolanda.  It tugs at my heartstrings, but more importantly, it is the Holy Spirit that gives me that push to help out in any way I can.

For days I am transfixed on this.  Via social media I was able to get information and share them as well.  The help extended by the rest of the world is what was so astounding.  There is your proof that God moves in every way.  The concerted efforts from donations, medical assistance, and the uniting of hearts from love is what you now see.  My heart is overjoyed and overflowing with awe which cements the fact that God is very very much alive in our world.

This morning I opened my bible.  The daily verse that came up was in Joel 2:23 “Rejoice, you people of Jerusalem!  Rejoice in the Lord your God!  For the rain he sends demonstrates his faithfulness.  Once more the autumn rains will come, as well as the rains of spring.”  My human self was taken aback at first.  You should have seen my face.  But then I lingered at the thought and it hit me.  Of course!  Yes, the rains (the storm) hit the Philippines and devastation is all around but we are a people of deep faith.  The Filipino spirit and faith in God is stronger than any storm and they will overcome and bounce back from.  It would be so easy for them to blame God to be subjected to such tragedy but instead they find a way to smile and rise above it, believing that there is a rainbow at the end of the storm.  God is present in Tacloban that not even the stench of death that lingers in the air could kill their hope or spirit.  From it will arise so much more positive testimony that we may never even learn about because there are thousands, even millions of spirits from all over the world who will be touched about the blessings, the grace, the power of God!  Without even knowing it, this will be a testimony that stays with them forever!  PRAISE GOD!!!


Until my next rant... LOVE ONE ANOTHER!


No comments: