CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY

CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY
CLICK THIS PHOTO TO ENTER GALLERY

Thursday, September 27, 2012

CHERRY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!

Oh boy!  I was craving for some sweet and tangy treat today, but knowing how much I dread the indecision and the fact that there's nothing about driving to the store just to give into the craving sounded enticing to me.  I thought about the sweet cherries that I had frozen from last April at the Oakley cherry orchards

and decided to make these fabuloso cherry chocolate chip cookies!!!  Look at the delectable treat below!  I'm misting you... you can do this!  Enjoy!


1 c. dried cherries
1/3 c. hot water
6 tbsp. shortening
6 tbsp. butter, softened
1 ½ c packed brown sugar
½ c. sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. grated orange peel
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. quick cooking oats
¾ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1 c. semisweet chocolate chip cookies


In a small bowl, soak cherries in the 1/3 c. hot water for 10 min.

(I didn't have to soak mine because I packed the pitted cherries in individual bags so they were still juicy.  The container above was the juice I strained from it.  So I incorporated that into the batter instead of the water from the recipe.  I prefer this way because I had the thawed fresh cherries.  I did chop these after I popped them in the oven to dry them out a little bit more.)

In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, orange peel and vanilla. 



Combine the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add cremed mixture and mix well.  Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries with liquid.


Drop by rounded tsp. 2 in apart onto baking sheets. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes until edges are browned.  Cool for 1 min. before removing from pan. 

Makes 3 ½ dozen

1 cookie = 143 cals -- OMGosh so yummy!  Try not to eat more than one, but if you do, exercise!!! Till my next rant/recipe, LOVE ONE ANOTHER!!

No comments: