CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY

CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY
CLICK THIS PHOTO TO ENTER GALLERY

Saturday, May 9, 2015

A MOTHER'S STORY








Although I could have chosen any day to write a blog post about my mother because of her critical role in my life, it seemed apropos to do so on Mother’s Day.  

No one appreciates my mother more, IMHO, than me.  As long as I can remember, my mother has been my best friend.  As a child, she was my hero.  My mother was a hard working woman.  Although it was customary in the Philippines for the father to make a living, it was my mother who worked her fingers to the bone.

She tells a story that on one special occasion, my dad gave her a sewing machine.  She learned how to sew.  I think I got my creative nature from her.  I remember her cutting patterns she made herself and sew them into these beautiful dresses.  She eventually owned several dress shops and a restaurant.  I can remember the smell of a thousand bolts of fabric in the store and the many seamstresses pedaling away in their old fashioned sewing machines.

On the weekends, my mother would bribe me to go with her to the high end stores so she can look at the new designer or imported clothes in the windows.  She would sit there and secretly sketch the latest designs and then recreate them in our stores to sell them for a more reasonable price for those who may not have been able to afford enough its high end counterparts.

I admired her gumption.  I chuckle at the memory of her and I, at the age of 8, coming back from our excursions and discussing the dresses she sketched.  She second guessed herself as I pointed out certain things about the dresses as I remembered them.

My mother loved us all.  When dad wasn't around, it was like disneyland.  I get to sleep in the bed with my mom.  I used to always look forward to it.   She seemed so sad though during these times but at that age, I didn’t know why.  But she was always glad to have us sleep with her.  I remember kisses, lots of them from her.  It made me so proud to tag along wherever she went especially when people would say I was pretty and that I looked like her.  To me she was the most beautiful woman I’ve ever seen with her beehive hairdo and her little A-line 60s dresses and pumps.

All throughout my life, my mother was and still is, my rock.  She is far from perfect and there were many many disagreements but I love that she is in my life.  So today I raiser her up, high above a pedestal, because she deserves it.

I thank God everyday for being her daughter.  I can’t imagine my life without her.  Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.  

I hope you all appreciate your mothers today.  They truly are a gem to be cherished.


Till my next rant… LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

No comments: