CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY

CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY
CLICK THIS PHOTO TO ENTER GALLERY

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ROMA - BUON GIORNO / ARIVEDERCI

Rome!  What a wealth of information learned from this so very influential era that graced our earth with Jesus right in the midst of it.  One can't help but marvel and at the same time be so confused at why God even chose this time to send His only Son to people who were so heartless and cruel? The only reason I can think of is to make that much more of an impact in our lives from His sacrifice and death.

There's not enough time.  I felt like I missed out on so many details of the ceiling art because the tour guide was going way too fast although she didn't really have a choice as we felt like ants being herded through the entire hot Vatican Museum.  It is as if all of its past contributors were right there with us.  There was an eerie feeling of historical majesty consisting of God, Rafael, Michelangelo, all the saints, all the dead popes, and finally JC himself.  

The Trompe L'Oeil art on the ceilings were crazy awesome!   They really looked like carvings!  The Sistine Chapel, whoa!! It wasn't very big in there but every inch but the floor was graced by the hand of Michelangelo.  It took him 4 years to create the masterpiece without ever leaving the chapel.  Well, according to the guide he never took a bath, maybe when he was born.  In those days, you only bathe when born and married.  He never married.  Maybe here the tradition goes on.

St. Peter's Basilica was another WHOA moment! That is a big church lemme tell ya!  The tallest dome, more than 400 feet tall she said you can fit the statue of liberty in it!  The real popes on display were Pope John the 23rd, his body dipped in wax, Pope Innocence the 11th, his body dipped in silver.  There was another guy but after taking pics of two dead popes I decided it may have been a little awkward.

The center where the pope overlooks when making an appearance on his balcony was big as well.  100k people fill that area. 

There were scarf vendors out there who would trick you into thinking you were paying two euros for a scarf and then hand you an uglier one.  Haha! I said gimme my money back! Finally realizing I can't be fooled, she gave in. Oyy!

The Trevi Fountain! OMG! I have never seen anything like it, not even in my dreams! Looking at it makes you just want to sit and stare at it if not for the noise and filthy surroundings!

The city itself although chockful of history is dirty! It reminded me of Oakland and Richmond.  We perfected the street crossing, the motto, do as the locals do.  The locals bravely cross so we follow their lead lol!

We had lunch at a restaurant and the waitresses did not impress me at all!  They were kinda short with us, rolling their eyes if we request for condiments that weren't on the table already.  Also, I had an upset stomach that day so I couldn't eat.  They thought I didn't like the food and they were totally offended!

The coffee was another story!  Little tiny cups of espresso instead of a huge cup of regular.  Umm I think I'll take mine a quarter strength in a big mug with a shot of hazel nut please?

I've learned some words, here's one..  ANDIAMO! means Let's Go!  I know one day I will be back.  But this time I'm not going with a guide and just stay in Rome for a couple if days just to soak in the art and the wonderful architecture!!

While in Rome do as the Romans do except, do take showers.. They're free!  Till my next rant... LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

No comments: