CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY

CLICK THIS ARTWORK TO ENTER GALLERY
CLICK THIS PHOTO TO ENTER GALLERY

Sunday, March 17, 2013

DO YOU HAVE WHAT YOU WANT?




In our world today, we have become so engrossed in technology.  Sure there are numerous benefits that assist us in our day to day human function and as our world ages, technology will progress even more.  It amazes me how much I rely on my techie toys that I cannot even imagine my life without it.  Not saying I would not survive, but I know that it will surely take some time to adjust. 

 
I came across a verse while reading my daily devotional which talked about idolatry.  In an instant I thought about other gods, money, people, etc. that would fall under that category.  However, it explained that idolatry is the need to “have” everything which taunts us all.  Ok, before you roll your eyes at me and say, “oh here we go” I would like to expound on my understanding of the thought. 

 
Whenever we are consumed with thing we need, want, or have to have, the bigger the consummation, the more we push our focus off God until He becomes less and less of a priority.  Our focus shifts away from Him and in essence we become covetous which results in idolatry.

 
God does not want our lives to rot and get stale from not progressing with the rest of the world, but He wants us to surrender all of the “possessiveness” we may have to Him, meaning He should continue to be the center of our lives in whatever it is we choose to own.  As long as he is not crowded out by the things we desire, we should be okay.  God wants us to be happy and to enjoy material things as just that, material.  He should stay our top priority over all things.  After all, everything we have is from Him. 

 
Until my next rant… LOVE ONE ANOTHER! Love you, mean it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for your rant. It's not the things that are the problem, unless they take our focus away from God. That's great insight. Appreciate your thoughts.